This recipe is featured in Nonna’s Homemades
- Cook 1 hour
- Servings 4
- 710 ml (3 cups) dry instant potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 688 grams (5½ cups) all-purpose flour, or as needed
1. In a large bowl, combine the dry potatoes with 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt and 828 ml (3 1/2 cups) hot water. Mix until well-blended. Add eggs, mix again, and allow to cool.
2. Add flour by gradually dusting it over the potato mixture and blending it in lightly, without packing it down. Continue until the dough is pliable and can be shaped into long ropes; it may not be necessary to use all the flour.
3. Roll portions of the dough into ropes about 2.5 cm (1 inch) in diameter. Cut each rope into pieces about 1.9 cm (3/4 inch) long.
4. To cook the gnocchi, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi in batches and stir the pot so they don’t stick together. The gnocchi will sink to the bottom and rise to the surface as they cook. Using a slotted spoon, remove the gnocchi from the water about 30 seconds after they rise to the surface. Transfer to a bowl of sauce and proceed with remaining dough.