Kuih Lapis – 9 Layered Coconut Cake
This unusual 9-layered cake is cooked in a steamer, and makes a great snack.
For the syrup:
- 177 ml (3/4 cup) sugar
- 2 pieces of pandan leaves, optional
For the batter:
- 177 ml (3/4 cup) rice flour
- .5 grams (1/8 teaspoon) salt
- 1.9 liters (8 cups) coconut milk
- Drops of red and green food coloring, as needed
- For the syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine 355 ml (1 1/2 cups) water with the sugar and pandan leaves, if using. Place over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, then remove from heat and set aside to cool. Remove and discard pandan leaves once cooled.
2. For the batter: Mix the rice flour with 156 ml (2/3 cup) water to form a dough. Set aside to rest for 1 hour.
3. Mix the salt into the coconut milk, stir well and pour into the dough. Stir to combine, add the syrup, and mix again. Divide batter into 2 parts, add red food coloring to one part and green to the other.
4. Prepare a steamer with water and place 18 cm (7 inch) square pan in it to heat. Stir the red and green batters to remove any lumps. When the water is boiling, pour 118 ml (1/2 cup) of red batter into the pan. Cover the lid and steam for 5 minutes. Next, pour in 118 ml (1/2 cup) of green batter and steam for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batters, steaming each layer for 5 minutes; the last (9th) layer should be red.
5. After the 9th layer is steamed, open the lid, then close again to steam for another 5 minutes. Repeat this procedure for 2 more times. When it is done, turn off heat. Cool the cake on a rack until completely cooled, then cut into squares to serve. Enjoy this great snack!