Hop Flavored Beer Lollipops recipe aka LolliHOPS!
This recipe is featured in Cooking with Hops -- Beer Candy and More
Adapted from Marie Porter
- Prep 30 minutes
- Small amount of butter
- 118 ml (½ cup) beer of choice
- 6 dried (aroma) hop cones
- 198 grams (1 cup) white sugar
- 118 ml (½ cup) light corn syrup
- Lollipop sticks
1. Use butter or non-stick spray to generously grease the back of 1 or 2 baking sheets, or lollipop molds.
2. Heat beer to a light simmer. Break up hop cones into leaves, add to warm beer.
3. Remove from heat, allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Strain beer into a measuring glass, measuring only 78 ml (1/3 cup). (The 118 ml/1/2 cup measurement is to allow for some evaporation / hop leaf absorption).
5. In a heavy saucepan (2 liter/quart), mix together sugar, corn syrup, and strained 78 ml (1/3 cup) of beer.
6. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then attach candy thermometer to saucepan. Stir often until temperature reaches 149°C (300°F).
7. Remove the pan from heat. Allow to cool and thicken slightly, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
8. Drop small amounts of the hot sugar mixture onto the greased baking sheets – about 5 to 15 ml (1 to 3 teaspoons per dollop), depending on the desired size of your lollihops.
9. Lay a lollipop stick into each circle, so that the tip is near the center of the lollipop, and flat against the surface. Carefully give each stick a bit of a twirl, so that the candy coats around the stick to hold it in place.
10. Cool completely, and carefully remove from baking sheets.
11. Wrap individually in plastic lollipop bags and tie with metallic twist tie.