Honeycomb candy is a perfect holiday recipe. It uses ingredients you’ll have in your pantry, cooks up quickly, and makes a magical transformation during cooking that is sure to enchant any onlookers. Once it’s cooled, serve plain or dress it up with melted chocolate. Either way, it makes a wonderful homemade gift or holiday treat.
- 200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) corn syrup
- 12.5 ml (2 1/2 teaspoons) baking soda
1. Line an 20×20 cm (8×8 inches) square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine sugar, corn syrup, and 80 ml (1/3 cup) water in a medium-sized heavy-bottomed pot. Place over medium heat, and stir frequently until the sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil.
3. Once mixture begins to boil, attach a candy thermometer to the edge of the pot, making sure the tip of the thermometer does not touch the bottom.
4. Cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 149°C (300°F ). Once mixture reaches temperature, immediately remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. It will immediately begin to foam. Stir just until baking soda is completely combined and the color turns golden; do not over-stir or the candy will deflate.
5. Once foaming stops and baking soda is dissolved into the mixture, immediately pour into prepared pan and spread as quickly as possible. Cool completely (at least 1 hour) before breaking into pieces by hand or by tapping it with a kitchen mallet.