Gluten-Free Acorn Bread
This recipe is featured in Acorns for Bread & Breakfast - How to Eat Them Safely
- 473 ml (2 cups) acorn flour
- 22 ml (1½ tablespoons) butter or margarine
- 118 ml (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 237 ml (1 cup) milk or milk alternative
If you’d like to make this bread a little less “traditional,” you can add an additional 237 ml (1 cup) acorn flour, 59 ml (1/4 cup) milk or milk alternative, and 1 more egg. The additional of ground cinnamon or nutmeg will make a Thanksgiving-style bread. The indigenous people would often replace some of the acorn flour with cornmeal.
1. Preheat oven to 177°C (350°F).
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix together thoroughly. Place in a small greased bread pan or muffin pan.
3. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread is dry when removed, 15 to 20 minutes.