This recipe is featured in Suet, Seeds and Safety: Feeding Birds in Winter
Adapted from the Old Farmers’ Almanac 1984
- 3 parts rendered suet
- 1 part corn meal or finely cracked corn
- 1 part peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1 part sunflower kernels or chopped nuts
- 1 part brown sugar
- 1 part chopped dried fruit (currants, raisins, prunes, etc.)
- 1 handful of fine sand
1. Combine all of the ingredients with enough water to get the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Cook in double boiler until well-blended.
2. Put into small molds or containers. Refrigerate until hardened.