Curtido (Pickled Cabbage, Onions, and Carrots)
This recipe is featured in Pupusas
Curtido is a must when serving pupusas, crispy fried yuca and pork, or empanadas. The sour-pickled flavor of the cabbage, onions, and carrots is a perfect complement to savory foods.
- Servings Makes 6 servings
- 473 ml (2 cups) shredded green cabbage
- 118 ml (½ cup) shredded carrots
- 118 ml (½ cup) thinly sliced onion
- 946 ml (4 cups) apple cider vinegar
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) whole black peppercorns (optional)
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried chili flakes or 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1. In a large ceramic bowl or glass jar with a lid, combine the cabbage, carrots, onion, vinegar, oregano, salt, peppercorn,s and chili flakes, if using. Stir to combine.
2. Cover tightly with lid or plastic wrap. Marinate overnight before serving. Curtido can be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days.