Caldo de Pollo
This is a traditional Mayan chicken soup.
- Servings Serves 6
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- .5 Kg (1 pound) choco with summer squash as a substitute, cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) chopped fresh cilantro
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) chopped fresh mint
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) annatto paste
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) habanero powder
- .9 Kg (2 pounds) potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 ripe plantain, cut into quarters
- Corn tortillas for serving
Place 2.8 liters (3 quarts) of water into a large soup pot and add the chicken pieces. Add the salt. Bring to a boil, then add the choco or squash and garlic, herbs, annatto and habanero powder. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Add the potatoes and plantain and cook for 10 more minutes. Serve with tortillas.