Zabaglione with Fruit
This recipe is featured in Eggs – the Perfect Food
Zabaglione with Fruit is an exquisite dessert made with just three ingredients. Often made tableside in restaurants, it is simplicity itself. Sweet Marsala from Sicily is the traditional flavoring, but orange flavored Mandarine Napoléon, Limoncello, or even Frangelico are also very pleasing. Mind what you are pairing it with.
- Servings For 6
- 3 egg yolks (and egg for two portions, scaling up other ingredients as necessary)
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar (more or less according to taste and the sweetness you prefer and of the spirit you choose)
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) sweet Marsala (or another of your choosing)
- Strawberries, raspberries, apricots, peaches, poached pears, or other fruit
- Crushed amaretti cookies, for garnish (optional)
Beat the eggs until frothing in a round bottomed zabaglione pan, or in the top of a double boiler with tablespoon of water for each egg used. Place pot over water at the high end of a simmer and beat in the sugar. Beat, beat, beat until thickened. Slowly drizzle in the Marsala (or liqueur of choice) beating all the while, over the heat until thickened but not thick.
Serve hot or at warm room temperature over strawberries (or other fruits — as you like) in a goblet, or plated.
Garnish with crushed Amaretti or biscotti, or serve a whole cookie on the side.