This recipe is featured in A Bowl of Compassion
Original release February 2017
- 1 kg (2.25 pounds) atta (Indian wholegrain wheat flour)
- 75 grams (2/5 ounces) finely diced coconut
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) crushed fennel seed
- 50 grams (1.5 ounces) raisins
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) cardamom powder, optional
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) ghee (clarified butter)
- 400 grams (14 ounces) jaggery, also known as gur in India
- Oil for deep frying
1. Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together well with your hands. Next pour in the ghee and crumble up the mixture.
2. Add the jaggery to a pot and add about 118 ml (1/2 cup) water. Dissolve over low heat until you are left with a brown liquid, then incorporate it into the flour mixture as well.
3. Now it is time to use your hands. Place the flour in a bowl and knead, adding enough water to make a cookie dough. You can tell when the dough is ready once it’s possible to roll it out. Shape cookies in your desired size and deep fry until golden brown.