Pumpkin Ice Cream
This recipe is featured in Pumpkin: A Contemplation
- Servings About 1 quart
- 240 ml (1 cup) whole milk
- 240 ml (1 cup) heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 240 ml (1 cup) maple syrup
- 240 ml (1 cup) pumpkin purée
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) nutmeg
- 5 grams (1 teaspoon) ginger
- 2.5 grams (1/2 teaspoon) cinnamon
- 12 ml (2 teaspoons) dark rum
- 6 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- Pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted, for garnish
1. Scald the milk and cream in a saucepan. Combine yolks and maple syrup and bowl. Into this mixture whisk in a little milk-cream mixture to temper the eggs. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk-cream mixture. Return combined mixture to the saucepan and cook over a low heat for about 15 minutes (do not boil) or until it coats the back of a wooden spoon.
2. Mix together the pumpkin purée, spices, rum, vanilla and cream mixture. Add this to the hot custard and gently cook a few minutes. Allow it to cool completely; set pan in a bowl of ice and a little water if you are impatient. Once cooled, chill completely in fridge.
3. Pour the cold mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Scrape into a 1 liter (1 quart) container and freeze overnight for fullest flavor.
4. Serve in stemmed goblets with a sprinkling of chopped walnuts or pecans.