Papa’s Marinara Sauce
This recipe is featured in Nonna’s Homemades
- Prep 2 hours
- Servings 4
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 340 grams (12 ounces) canned tomato paste
- 3.6 kg (8 pounds) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) sugar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) oregano
- 59 ml (1/4 cup) fresh basil
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) salt
- 1 bay leaf
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and sauté onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato paste and cook 3 minutes more.
3. Add tomatoes, sugar, oregano, basil, salt, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover partially, and simmer until reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally, about two hours.