Musika (Tamarind) Ice Cream
- Servings Yield: 8-10 servings
- 473 ml (2 cups) whipping cream
- 237 ml (1 cup) whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 118 ml (½ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- About 59 ml (¼ cup) musika purée, or to taste
1. Put an ice cream container and a metal bowl into the freezer. Pour the cream and milk into a heavy-based saucepan and place over a medium heat. Gently bring up to the boil, stirring occasionally, and then remove from the heat. Set aside.
2. While the cream and milk are heating up, beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a large metal bowl until the mixture turns pale and thick. Slowly pour the hot creamy milk over the egg yolk mixture, whisking as you do so.
3. Place the egg yolk mixture in the metal bowl on top of a saucepan with 68 cm (2-3 inches) of boiling water over a medium heat; do not allow the boiling water does not touch the bowl.
4. Gently stir the custard in a figure eight, moving all around the bowl, until it thickens, 6-8 minutes. The custard should be thick enough to lightly coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat, pour into the pre-cooled metal bowl and return to the freezer for a few minutes. Do not leave the custard in the saucepan, as the heat of the pan will continue to cook it.
5. When the custard is cool whisk in the musika purée, ensuring it is very well-combined. Pour into an ice cream maker and after the cycle is complete, transfer into the pre-cooled ice cream container and store in the freezer until ready to serve.