Little Herds’ Gluten-Free Chocolate Chirp Cookies
This recipe is featured in Insect Flour
- 93 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose gluten-free flour (a blend of potato, brown rice and tapioca flour, or other all-purpose gluten-free flour)
- 93 grams (3/4 cup) 100% pure cricket powder
- 62 grams (1/2 cup) coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, preferably free-range
- 227 grams (8 ounces) butter, softened but not melted
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 165 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons Madagascar vanilla
- 1 cup chopped crickets, walnuts or pecans, (crickets obviously preferred), optional
- 312 grams (11 ounces) semi-sweet or 60% cocoa chocolate chips
- Sea salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 190ºC (350ºF). Combine gluten-free flour, cricket powder, coconut flour, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat eggs until blended and set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar and brown sugar at medium speed until creamy and lightened in color. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture in parts, making sure all the dry flour is moistened. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips
3. Chill the dough for a few hours or, for best (puffy) texture, overnight.
4. Form into small balls or drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets or baking pans lined with parchment paper. If desired, sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on each ball of dough.
5. Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.