Khada Masala Pullao (Whole Spice Pilaf)
This recipe is featured in The Secrets of Basmati Rice
This rich yet simple rice dish provides a delicious base to a meal of raita, curry, and a chopped fresh salad of cucumber, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro.
It’s a good idea to have all ingredients at hand to put into the saucepan in quick succession. The spices from cinnamon to cloves can all go into one bowl before being added to the contents of the saucepan.
- Cook 25 min.
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) butter or ghee, less if you prefer
- 1 medium stick cinnamon
- 3 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) whole cumin seeds
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 30 grams (1 cup) basmati rice
- 473 ml (2 cups) water, and if needed, a bit more for aged rice
- Salt to taste
1. Heat the butter or ghee in 4 liter (4 quart) saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to sizzle.
2. Add cinnamon, cardamom pods, cumin seed, peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves; stir fry for a few seconds until fragrant.
3. Add rice and stir-fry for a few seconds until some of the grains turn golden.
4. Add the water and salt to taste, stir. Bring to a rolling boil, then immediately reduce the heat to very low. Cover and let cook until the water is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
Note: For a variation you can add a cup of peas when frying the rice, then proceed as above. Season to taste with salt as needed.