Hazelnut Chip Navy Blondies
This recipe is featured in Protein Ninja - Finding Protein in a Vegan Diet
- Cook 45 minutes, plus cooling time
- Servings 16 blondies
- Coconut oil, for pan
- 94 grams (¾ cup) plus 15 ml (1 tablespoon) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 41 grams (⅓ cup) pea protein powder
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 1.25 ml (¼ teaspoon) salt
- 237 ml (1 cup) cooked navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 79 ml (⅓ cup) canola oil or refined coconut oil
- 59 ml (¼ cup) hot water
- 133 grams (⅔ cup) organic dark brown sugar
- 100 grams (½ cup) organic sugar
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) pure vanilla extract
- 45 grams (¼ cup) vegan chocolate chips, or 85 grams (3 ounces) vegan semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 30 grams (¼ cup) chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 177°C (350°F). Line a 20 cm (8-inch) square pan with foil. Lightly oil the foil, add 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of the flour, and move the pan around, tapping the sides to coat the inside bottom and edges of the pan with flour.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together remaining 94 grams (3/4 cup) flour and the pea protein powder, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a food processor, blend the beans with the oil and hot water until completely smooth. Add the sugars and vanilla and pulse until smooth. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and with a rubber spatula fold together until slightly moistened, then add half of the chocolate chips and mix until just combined. The batter will be very thick, and that’s okay. Don’t overmix!
4. Scoop the batter into the prepared baking pan and use the rubber spatula to evenly spread the batter to the edges of the pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips and the nuts. Bake for 20 minutes and let cool completely, then remove the blondies by picking up the edges of the foil. Slice into sixteen squares, store loosely covered, and eat them all or share them within about 2 days.