Banana Crunch n’ Cricket Muffins
This recipe is featured in Insect Flour
Courtesy of Little Herds
For the batter
- 187 grams (1½ cups) cricket flour (cricket powder combined with all purpose flour)
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking soda
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) nutmeg
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) cinnamon
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) salt
- 3 bananas, slightly over-ripe and mashed
- 100 grams (½ cup) white sugar
- 55 grams (¼ cup) packed light brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Madagascar vanilla
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 75 grams (⅓ cup) butter, melted
For the crumble topping
- 73 grams (⅓ cup) light brown sugar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- 1.25 ml (¼ teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) butter
- 61 grams (½ cup) finely chopped crickets, walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. For the batter: Preheat oven to 177o C (350oF). Lightly grease a muffin pan, or line with muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, mix cricket flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla, egg and melted butter. Mix banana mixture into flour mixture until combined. Pour batter into muffin pan or cups.
4. For the crumble topping: In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. Top with crickets or nuts if desired.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes.